Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Soggy s'mores anyone??

Well, we are supposed to be heading to Girl Scout Camp this weekend, but the weather forecast is calling for a 70% chance of severe thunderstorms. Folks, this is bad!

Our troop went to camp last Spring, and it rained and drizzled for two solid days. Sadly, I found out I am too much a creature of comforts to enjoy camping in the rain. Last year the rain resulted in cancellation of most of the planned activities: ziplining, canoeing, archery and horseback riding, leaving the girls with nothing to do but activities like “poking your eye with a stick”, “futility in firebuilding”, “the wet sock toss”, “finding 100 ways to annoy your troop leader” and my all time favorite, “the bad weather whining contest”….. When I went up to the camp lodge to see if there might be some board games, cards, ANYTHING TO KEEP THE GIRLS OCCUPIED IN THEIR TENTS, (duct tape perhaps?) I was told that "... perhaps you can take them for a nature hike?" I am NOT kidding! Now who would suggest taking a group of 9 to 11 year-old city kids for a hike in the rain? Seriously. Those people scare me....

Plus, adding insult to injury, it's really hard to enjoy a fire and make s'mores in a downpour... and what is Girl Scout camp without s'mores? I need prayers y'all!

Blessings,
Adrienne

3 comments:

His grace is sufficient. said...

Poor Adrienne, I suggest canceling the camping trip. Girls are not like boys who find something to do no matter what the weather. One bad time is enough, don't you think. Hope all goes well. If you can't cancel, have everyone bring their favorie board games or cards.

Hope to see you Monday.

Moose Mama said...

Even though I read all of this earlier today in my own private email from you...This just made me laugh! Wet sock toss....Oh my, that's funny! You could come here. It's snowing again. You pick. Camp in the rain. Camp in the snow.

Forget the camping, just come see me!

Love you, sweet friend!
Melana :)

Cindy said...

Yikes! I can only imagine a rainy camping trip with some grumpy girlscouts due to weather. Their numbers seem to increase exponentially when there is nothing for them to do.

It reminds me of the last girl scout camping trip I went on when I was 9 or 10. We had the worst thunderstorm during the night and when we woke up the temperature had fallen about 30 degrees overnight. Fun times.

Bring lots of board games. I hope the weather will cooperate for your trip. I will be praying.