Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pondering Treasure

Happy New Year!

I love things new - new chances, new opportunities, a chance for a fresh start, moving on from past mistakes, hopefully with lessons learned. *grin* So I am looking forward to 2011.

For the past several months, starting around October of 2010, every where I went I heard people speaking about "treasure" - the things we are and are not to treasure. Our pastor preached a sermon where he covered Matthew 6:19-21, Beth Moore mentioned this in her teaching at Deeper Still in Birmingham. I heard it on the radio, songs brought it to mind, and then in late November and December, we got hit with some huge financial bills, which essentially decimated our savings. I'm certain God is gently teaching me to reconsider what I treasure, and what I trust, to snuff out any place where I place worldly things above heavenly things, and to remind me that my security is in Him alone.

So, my first scripture memory verse for 2011 is, fittingly, Matthew 6:19-21 NASB

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

I've been mulling this over for a few weeks now, thinking about what are my treasures here on earth and in heaven. And as far as I can tell, the only "treasures in heaven" that we can "store up here on earth" are relationships, people.

I've been praying, Lord - show me what's got to go, and what's got to grow! What are my treasures?

  • My relationship with God - I want to know Him more, so dig deeper into His Word, and to yield my life and my heart to His molding. Lord, I want to love YOU above everything else! Light a fire in my heart to know You, to seek You, and to trust You.

  • My family - I'm embarassed to admit that I have slipped into a pattern of taking them for granted too often, at times putting my own wants and desires above serving them. Lord, I thank you for my precious family. They are the people on this earth that I enjoy the most. Lord, help me to be a godly wife and mom, to keep you at the center of our home.

  • Lost family members - what could be more of a "treasure in heaven" than seeing someone you love come to know Christ? I wish I could remember where I heard the quote that says "1 person in a 100 will read their Bible. The remaining 99 will read the 1." Enough said. Lord, I pray my life will reflect You and reveal Christ to my lost family.

  • My health - This year I will turn 50. I cannot believe it myself, and yet it is true. And I'm feeling my age. Lord, help me take care of this earthly temple, to be strong and healthy for the things I am called to do.

  • Friends - I need people who will hold me accountable in these things! I am blessed to have a few close friends that I think I can share my heart with, but there are things I hold back, out of fear, pain, and embarassment. Lord - give me a discerning heart in my friendships. Give me friends that will help me grow, as they support me and as I support them.

4 comments:

twinkle said...

Oh,A, that is beautiful! I know God will be faithful to you as you grow in this area with Him.
I am writing you a note to thank you for the ornaments. Really. A handwritten note! I am so thankful to have you as my friend. Praying that this year will be blessed with the Treasure of Christ, alive and active in you.

This came immediately to my mind...More Precious Than Silver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5hAw0mRGjc&feature=related

His grace is sufficient. said...

Excellent post, Adrienne. I couldn't agree with you more. We need to try to get together more often my friend. I enjoyed the Deeper Still conference with you, Sarah & Deborah.

Yolanda said...

I so "treasure" you and your heart. You are a remarkable woman and God knows what He is doing with you and I sister. ;-)

Love to you-
Yolanda

PS: Will you be at Deeper Still in KY June? I already have my ticket. ;-)

fuzzytop said...

Deborah - Thanks for the link! I loved this song.... A handwritten note? That's something, in this day of email!

Linda - would love to get together more often... Perhaps we can just pick a regular time to get together for coffee and conversation. Let me know what you think.

Yolanda - I'm not planning to go to DS in Lexington. I have promised my daughter that the two of us will go to LPL in Charlotte, NC next summer, so I'm going to do that instead. But I am planning on Houston in January 2012!!!

Love to you all,
Adrienne