Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Of plans gone awry....

It's been a strange day.... I didn't sleep well so I woke up tired, but after I had my french vanilla coffee and my quiet time I felt ok, so I got the kids up and going, then off we went to work and school. Just like any other day. The fun began about two hours later when I got a call from the school nurse saying James was in her office complaining he was sick, stomach cramps, etc... So I stuffed some work in my bag and headed off to pick him up and bring him home. When I arrived at the school, James was squirming and dong some very strange gyrations on the bed in the nurse's office - apparently he had the worst case of stomach cramps EVER, he was bent over double, but he wasn't vomiting and had no fever. This should have been a clue that set off flashing lights in my sleep-deprived, befuddled brain.




So we drove home, I put James to bed, and of course by then he is feeling oh so perky and fabulous; it probably was the power nap he took on the 30 min drive home. Grrrrrrrrrr!


So Tom (I love my man!) offered to pick up Rachel, so that I could stay home with 'The Sick One' and get my work done. Sounds wonderful, right??? Except I had completely forgotten I was supposed to meet Judy, Girl Scout Troop Leader Extraordinaire, right after school to get our troop checkbook and then I had plans to head over and meet someone from our Girl Scout council at a nearby church at 6pm to drop off our payment for Fall Product sales. Well, I laid down to take a short nap, fell asleep for 3 hours, and woke up to hear the phone ringing. Of course it was Judy, wondering why on earth I was at home when I was supposed to be meeting her in the school parking lot 30 miles away. So, I bundled up el-sicko, bribed him with the promise of an ice-cream at Mr. T's (I know, it's pathetic) and we hopped (ok I hopped, James was all wrapped up in a blanket so he sort of slithered) into the car, and off we went.


Met Judy, got the checkbook, and now it's 4:30 pm and Judy and I are trying desperately to find a way to meet this woman before 6pm and drop off the payment so I don't have to sit in the church parking lot for 90 minutes, but she can't meet me earlier.... Luckily, Judy found someone at the Girl Scout council office who was willing to let me bring the payment there.



Thankfully, we are home. And despite it being a crazy day, there were things I am thankful for... First, James is not seriously ill - my diagnosis is gas pains. Second, I got a wonderful unexpected treat of a NAP! IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY!!!! and I got to see Judy, who is one of the kindest people I know. All is well that ends well (and that my friends is Shakespeare)!


No comments: